How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: Using the launch of Windows 10, Microsoft introduced a boatload of the latest features and apps that can be very helpful for users but they can all of the features and apps will not be necessarily applied by users. A similar is the situation with Microsoft Edge, although Microsoft introduced it with Windows 10 and being said it’s large brother of Internet Explorer with lot improvements yet still it doesn’t reach the reputation. More necessarily it doesn’t meet up with it’s competitor just like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. And that’s the reason why users are searching for ways to either disable Microsoft Edge or completely uninstall it from the PC.
Now Microsoft being clever, they don’t appear to have included methods to disable or uninstall Microsoft edge completely. As Microsoft Edge is a valuable part of Windows 10, hence it can’t be removed directly from the device except for users searching for a option to disable it, let’s find out how to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 through the help of the below-listed guide.
How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
- How to Reset Microsoft Edge to Default Settings
- How to Remove Fake Virus Warning from Microsoft Edge
- How to Disable Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Notification
- How to Fix Microsoft Edge Opens Multiple Windows
- How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
Method 1: Workaround the challenge
So now you could simply set the default browser in Windows Settings either to Chrome or Firefox this also way Microsoft Edge won’t throw open automatically until and if you’t run it. Anyway, this is simply a workaround the problem in case you don’t enjoy it then you may turn to method 2.
1. Press Windows Key + I to start Settings then select Apps.
2. With the left-hand menu make sure you select Default apps.
3. Under Choose default apps just click Microsoft Edge listed Under Internet browser.
4. Now select Google Chrome or Firefox as a way to replace your default Internet browser.
Note: With this, you must just be sure you already have installed Chrome or Firefox.
5. Reboot your computer just to save changes.
Method 2: Rename Microsoft Edge Folder
1. Press Windows Key + R then type C:\Windows\SystemApps\ thus hitting Enter.
2. Now inside SystemApps folder get the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder then right-click in it choose Properties.
3. Be sure that under Attributes Read-only options are checked (Not just a square however a check mark).
4. Click Apply pursued by OK.
5. Now try and rename the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and when it requests for permission select Yes.
6. This may successfully disable Microsoft Edge, though if you cannot really rename the folder thanks to permission issue the continue.
7. Open Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder after which just click View Make certain file name extension choices are checked.
8. Now look for the following two files inside above folder:
9. Rename these files to:
10. This can successfully Disable Microsoft Edge in Windows 10, though if you cannot really rename them resulting from permissions issue the continue.
11. Press Windows Key + X then select Command Prompt (Admin).
12. Type the next command into cmd thus hitting Enter after every one:
icacls C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microaoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe /grant administrators:f
13. Again try and rename these two files this also time you can be successful by doing this.
14. Reboot your computer just to save changes and that is Find out how to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.
Method 3: Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 (Not really Recommended)
As mentioned above that Microsoft Edge is a valuable part of Windows 10 and completely uninstalling or removing it would produce system instability that’s why only method 2 is suggested if you need to disable Microsoft Edge completely. Though if you still need to continue then continue for your own risk.
1. Type powershell in Windows search after which it right-click on PowerShell and choose Run as Administrator.
2. Now type the next command into Powershell colliding with Enter:
3. Scroll down until you find Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge…. close to PackageFullName and next copy all of the name within the above field. As an example:
4. After you have the package name then type the next command:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.674.0_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage
Note: When the above doesn’t work do that one: Get-AppxPackage *edge* | Remove-AppxPackage
5. This may uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 compltely.
6. Reboot your computer just to save changes.
Suggested for you:
That’s it you’ve got successfully learned Find out How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 though if you still need questions about the above guide then go ahead and question them from the comment’s section.